Sunday, January 16, 2022

Inflammation appears to be the cause of my MGUS

People ask a lot "what causes MGUS?" and I think that has a different answer for everyone. 

  1. Family History: There is no doubt that if you have family history of blood cancers or MGUS, you are at a higher risk.
  2. Auto Immune: There is absolutely a link with auto immune and MGUS. This would seem to be due to the constant antigen stimulation of the body. 
  3. Environmental: clearly survivors of the 911 attacks and people exposed in the military etc are in danger.  Some people who are exposed at work, handymen / construction.
  4. Obesity: There are many studies on the books that show that obesity is a risk factor. 
So when people say, I am thin and I have MGUS... well of course... you can have it for reasons other than being obese.

For me, there is only one thing that I can see as being the cause of my MGUS... that appears to be obesity / inflammation.  I have no history of blood cancers in my family (or MGUS), no auto immune, unlikely to be the environment as I am very careful... but I have been obese... and for the years leading up to my diagnosis... I was eating like a pig.  

In 2012 I did a liquid diet and got down to 155. But I was STARVING and I couldn't lose any more weight. I realized... I had done a biggest loser and had no choice but to restore my metabolism. This took a lot longer than I expected. I quickly got back up to 217... but my metabolism was low (I had it tested). So for 8 years I was shoving food in there daily to try to wake my metabolism up.. and also try to figure out how to lose the weight without falling into the trap.  The plan was to start dieting before I hit 50. And I did that.. at 49 I started fasting.  But within just a few weeks, I was diagnosed with MGUS. 

I didn't realize the effect this was having on my body and perhaps... this period of obesity coming during menopause.. (or peri) didn't help.

I don't have a ton of blood tests (yes doctors for some reason didn't care) but I have some results from when I was younger and thinner and those were not the results I had the first time I started testing my inflammation makers. 

It is my belief that inflammation is both cause and way to avoid progression. It is the driver of the disease.. so everyone can benefit from a reduction. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am finally done with Keto.

Since the start of the pandemic I have been heavily invested in Keto and fasting. What captured my interest was the book, "Anyway you c...