Friday, January 1, 2021

WHAT IS MGUS?

Monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance (MGUS) is a plasma cell dyscrasia in which plasma cells or other types of antibody-producing cells secrete a myeloma protein, i.e. an abnormal antibody, into the blood; this abnormal protein is usually found during standard laboratory blood or urine tests. MGUS resembles multiple myeloma and similar diseases, but the levels of antibodies are lower the number of plasma cells (white blood cells that secrete antibodies) in the bone marrow is lower.

I am sure your eyes are glazing over. I had used to think that I could handle any cancer that came my way but the complexity of the body and in particular blood is amazing. 

To really get a sense of the condition you need to have about 55 tests. I could go through them here but someone already did it better. I link to a great document from the International Myeloma Society. Tests for Mugs 

I suspect that my disease was caught literally moments after it appearing.  At first, the only thing wrong with me was an "M-spike" and that "M-spike" was low. All of my other blood tests came back normal and showing no disease. This was promising.  But just recently my latest tests kept the "M-spike" the same but my Immunoglobulins were abnormal and my Free light chains were normal but the ratio (which I understand is more important) was not. IMHO evidencing that something is happening negatively.

For the record I have: IGM Kappa. This should be noted on your tests.  

The good news: IGM is more likely to develop into Waldenstrom macroglobulinemia (WM) rather than Multiple Myeloma. This is an "indolent" cancer which, right now, has an 86% survival rate after 5 years... and 66% after 10. 

The bad news: IGM is more likely to progress. And also, the IGM immunoglobbin is the largest... so having a lot of it around can lead to thicker blood, causing things like strokes. (though you can get treated for this). Finally, since WM is rare, I am not sure I will get the best treatment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am finally done with Keto.

Since the start of the pandemic I have been heavily invested in Keto and fasting. What captured my interest was the book, "Anyway you c...